Login

Lost Password?

Register

Register
The Wrestling Legends Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Technos Wrestlefest 91 Remake
08-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Unfortunately the clip you provide won't play and/ or I just can see it, but you're explanation did help. Don't worry about the "rambling" trust me it's better if you dumb it down for me. Bone Animation does seem easier and less time consuming but if Jake was going with the Sprite approach I'm he had his reasons. Maybe when he comes back around he can explain. If I recall correctly he was taking a long route, circumventing the "shortcuts" you mentioned the original taking.

You said WrestleFest has a limited memory how much would memory would an updated version have? The iPhone/ iPad/ Android version has over 50 wrestlers I believe and a longer championship mode than 5 matches (and 5 more to defend). Although I just thought it was limited to 5 to keep us pumping in more quarters.

I don't want to tell anyone how to remake the game or what method to use, especially when I'm on the sidelines with no knowledge or know how of how to do it, so I just try to pitch in and add where ever I can. But I do know that Wrestlers move exactly the same . For instance Jake & Dibiase's spinning elbow are the same for both. But Dibiase's and Warrior's powerslam may be little different do their different sizes. But for me if they walk, punch, kick alike (like you said they would in Bone Animation) I'd be OK with that I guess, but I can't speak for anyone else.

Well at least the thread is still breathing I saw Ronald Rain make a couple of posts. Now we just need Jake to make an appearance.
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2016, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2016 09:38 AM by higgipoker.)
Ah sorry about that, just do a youtube search for Spline 2D. Basically it's a program that allows you to define the bones and movements visually, and then export them in a format that could be read in the game code. It still takes a skilled animator to use the program to get good animations.

There is also a skill in designing the body part sprites so there are no seams at the bends, if you know what I mean.

Basically, the bone method is a LOT more work initially, but then very little work to make changes and additions. The sprite sheet method is relatively simple, but a lot more work to add new characters and features.

Personally, I will develop this game using the bone method, simply because I do this sort of thing in my free time for fun and I like to learn new things.

Regarding memory, compared with the old arcade boards, any machine today has practically unlimited memory. It is not an issue. I'm not sure what RAM/storage space the old arcade boards had, but if you consider they were using integrated processor/graphics chips running at about 7MHz, whilst even low end processors today are at least 1000MHz, you can see how far we've come Smile

BTW, for a good example of bone animation, take a look at the Fire Pro Wrestling series. Truly one of the best wrestling games of all time. Largely due to the editing and customisations that the bone system allows. If you look closely, you can see all the advantages/disadvantages already mentioned.

I guess my vision is for something with the gameplay, look and feel of Wrestlefest but with the flexibility of Fire Pro. We can dream... Big Grin

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
08-18-2016, 11:53 PM
When I get a chance will search Spline 2D on youtube. From what I gather both (Bone Animation & Sprites) have their benefits and detractions. Though I do recall saying one of his goals was to get a base down thus the community would have no problem adding/ creating wrestlers. He wanted to get the difficult job done first.

Nice to know that memory won't be a problem. I do like Fire Pro but I don't see any significant disadvantages. Yes the characters move the same, but don't they move the same in WrestleFest? Wrestlers of the same size (Animal & Hawk/ Jake & Dibiase) move alike, and that's not an issue for me.

There are a lot of times when I wish I knew how to edit, mod etc. where games are concerned, as there are a couple of games (outside of WrestleFest) that I would like to play around with. But then again if I did I may very well get lost in it and not do anything else.

WrestleFest with the flexibility of Fire Pro. It's possible... WrestleFest's gameplay is more simplistic. I have hope, not ready to throw in the towel just yet.
08-25-2016, 05:30 PM
Joined to see this thread rejuvenated, would love to see this project lift off if there's still a hunger.
03-16-2017, 07:28 PM
Just checking in to see if there are any updates. There may be some like me who check every now and then, but don't post, so if anyone is checking or still interested in seeing this remake made.... say something.
03-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Something! Big Grin

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
03-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Funny. So that makes 2 of us.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)