Login

Lost Password?

Register

Register
The Wrestling Legends Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Yet another try
08-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Yet another try
So after 4 years of only making a little progress I am back trying again. I have a question for you guys.

I am exploring using 3d character models over 2d sprites. I ahve struggled with 2d sprites on and off the last 4 years. Ripping them takes time, and anytime I am going to want to make a new move I am going to have to create animations for every type of wrestler to take the move.

So I have someone preparing a 3d model. If it looks good I am thinking at this point it will make more sense to go 3d as long as I can code the game play the same as the original.

So basically an updated wrestlefest with different graphics, but the same game play we all grew up with.

Thoughts? for anyone who still cares.
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JaketheSnake's post:
ronaldrain (08-11-2017)
08-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Yet another try
Sounds great to me if that's the case though why not just use n64 models?
They have been ripped and used in 3ds max,blender,maya
I'd love to see this continue whatever you use and would still love to help if I can.
08-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Yet another try
Forgive my ignorance but I am going to make suggestion based on discussions I had with another poster - Higgipoker.

Jake mentioned the wrestlers come in 5 sizes (6 because Jake wanted a "super large" size for Andre The Giant). So my question is would it be possible to give a move to each "size" as opposed to each wrestler?

For me updated with different graphics and the same gameplay, would be fine, can't speak for everyone else. And Jake in the future please don't disappear without a trace, if any problems arise let us know, we may be able to help. There are some who seem willing like myself (with my basic knowledge). Anyway, it's nice that you're back.
08-12-2017, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2017 12:59 AM by JaketheSnake.)
Yet another try
Quote:And Jake in the future please don't disappear without a trace, if any problems arise let us know, we may be able to help. There are some who seem willing like myself (with my basic knowledge). Anyway, it's nice that you're back.

I will. Life just gets in the way of fun stuff. But this time I will at least post if I take a break do to other stuff.

(08-11-2017 10:18 PM)thalivest Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Forgive my ignorance but I am going to make suggestion based on discussions I had with another poster - Higgipoker.

Jake mentioned the wrestlers come in 5 sizes (6 because Jake wanted a "super large" size for Andre The Giant). So my question is would it be possible to give a move to each "size" as opposed to each wrestler?

And yes that is how it would work. But even that will be a pain. So lets say I add the Heart Attack as the Hart Foundations finisher. I will need to sprite 6 different style wrestlers getting picked up by jim.

It is not really complicated it is just costly and time consuming. I am going to see what 3d looks like and then we can go from there. I should have something to post as a sample in the next week.

(08-11-2017 09:03 PM)ronaldrain Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Sounds great to me if that's the case though why not just use n64 models?
They have been ripped and used in 3ds max,blender,maya
I'd love to see this continue whatever you use and would still love to help if I can.

In this day and age I think we can do better then No Mercy and not get too costly. But I will keep it in mind.
08-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Yet another try
Ok here is the first look at the 3d model rendered for Wrestlefest.

Thoughts?

Attached File(s)
.png  Jake3d.png (Size: 286.86 KB / Downloads: 18)
[-] The following 1 user Likes JaketheSnake's post:
TheRealWorldsChampion (08-12-2017)
08-12-2017, 08:50 PM
RE: Yet another try
Love it.

[Image: signaturefcu.png]
08-13-2017, 05:26 AM
Yet another try
Yeah I think it came out pretty cool. The artist is now rigging it and is going to do the walk animation. Then I will decide if I am going to purchase it. He was willing to do it and see if I liked it for free, but If I want the asset I will have to purchase it.

But using 3d characters would really open this up to creating anyone once the 6 models are done. We would have to remodel each head I think or at least different types of hair. But I don't think that would be bad.
08-14-2017, 09:10 AM
Yet another try
Welcome back Jake.

Just for info, the solution I was discussing was a pure-2d version of the FirePro bone animation.

Interested to see you progress with the 3d approach!

Good luck!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
08-14-2017, 06:08 PM
Yet another try
Nice work with the "3D Jake", for me I'm a little nostalgic with the cartoon, muscular wrestlers, but still nice work.

Jake from what I gather when you give a wrestler size a move, you have to make a set for the other six sizes getting that move done to them. So for instance if you give Sting his inverted DDT, you would have to have 6 other animations for those wrestler sizes getting that move put on them. I can see how that can be arduous process, not to mention tedious.

Also I have some sprites/ outfits (the Django used to do) as well as some logos I can post for those who are interested, but I can't seem to upload them from my memory stick. Just JPEG images I found online.
08-14-2017, 09:01 PM
Yet another try
I hear ya on nostalgia. I am not in love with the 3d approach. But I envision making so many wrestlers and moves that I think 3d will be the better way to go. But I really want to focus on the game play and getting that almost exact. I think that is why it was fun and I hope I can get that right in Unity.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)